I will just start by saying that I love love love Vegenaise. Their Grapeseed oil mayo is ahhhmazing! I also like Earth Balance's mayo. It is also great!!
But what I don't like is when I cannot seem to have it on hand when I want to make something that requires mayo.
That is just what happened to me on Christmas. Yes, it was Christmas.
We were there, making dinner, making potato salad and -wham!
Where is the mayo? --- none.
Is the store open? --- no.
Do we really crave potato salad? --- absolutely yes!
So what do we do? --- make our own!
The reality is, making your own mayo is not something that is a walk in the park. It takes a little bit of skill. But don't be scared off yet!
Here is what I discovered:
First, it takes the right ingredients (which are listed below)
Second, it takes a good blender --- I have blendtec (I love it).
Third, it takes patience to read and understand the instructions.
Fourth, from trial & error I say this, understand emulsion (don't worry, I'll guide you).
And Fifth, it takes the willingness to make it in advance because its better once it cools in the refrigerator.
This mayo is so creamy, fluffy, yummy, and very much like Earth Balance Mayo and Vegenaise.
1/2 cup original soymilk
1 1/4 cup organic canola oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 to 3/4 tbsp cane sugar
1/2 tsp ground mustard
3/4 tsp celtic sea salt (or to taste)
1. Pour the soymilk in the blender on the lowest speed on your blender. Start here, and only here.
2. Slowly (VERY SLOWLY) drizzle in the oil while the blade is running and basically emulsifying the soymilk/oil....you must do this part, or you will not get thick creamy mayo!
3. Once all the oil is added, stop the blender, and add the rest of the ingredients.
4. Continue blending on low until thick for a few more moments.
5. Once done, place in refrigerator to cool.
This is truly a perfect mayonnaise. The only way this could mess up is if one does not read the information thoroughly. So read thoroughly and you will have the best vegan mayonnaise -- all homemade!